The watering can on the old table in the window. There would have been a bed sheet on it, but the roofs leaking and the table gets filthy

I painted this watering can because we were asked to put things on a table clothe and arrange them so they weren’t in the middle. This was after the class. I was told to make the darker areas darker when I painted something like this, and the table cloth brighter. I didn’t have a table cloth, but I did have a table and a bed sheet. But the table in the garage is set up where the roof leaks and so it’s all churned up and filthy.
I decided to do without the table cloth. I make artistic decisions like this all the time and the audience just don’t know what to do with themselves — continue watching? Go for an ice cream? Throw something?
Don’t throw anything if you aren’t willing to accept the consequences. There are people who live in glass houses, apparently, but they are not very numerous. Mostly they just grow their tomatoes and try to keep out of it.
But it’s not always easy. Sometimes you walk in and you know you’re not going to be able to get anything right for them. They don’t like the way you enter their home. They say their top hot and you say me too, then they repeat it and point out your shirt under your work shirt. You swallow it down. Pay attention to the hands you’re washing. Your hands. They feel like they’re there. They are there. The water is warm.
You pour them a glass of water and turn round. There are reason people are like they are. There are conditions. The conditions are infinite. You can point to sone of them, but you can’t point to them all. You sit in silence and wait. It enfolds at its own pace. You are of it. You are a part of it. It’s an interesting ride.
Comments
Post a Comment